New Golf Discs for 2018
Daylight savings marks the beginning of disc golf season for many disc golfers. If you haven’t followed disc golf during the winter, this post will help keep you up to date with all the latest discs that have been, or will soon be introduced in 2018.
Axiom is releasing their first ultra wide rimmed drivers the Excite and Tantrum. The disc Tantrum was made available on March 23rd while the Excite will be released on April 20th.
- Tantrum – The Axiom Tantrum is a straight stable with a sharp end of flight fade and a 24.5cm rim. This new distance driver goes very far.
- Excite – The Axiom Excite is very similar to the Tantrum with a thick 24.5cm rim. The Excite is said to be slightly more understable than the Tantrum.
Discmania hasn’t yet released any new discs in 2018, but there are a few known discs we are expecting. The PDGA has approved a retool of the FD2 and the MD5 was PDGA approved at the end of march.:
- PDX – The Discmania PDX is a power driver that was released as a fundraising disc for the Disc Golf World Tour. It was finally released in a stock stamp at the beginning of 2018. 11/4/0/3
- MD5 – The Discmania MD5 is a new midrange disc coming soon!
Discraft released the Vulture as part of player packs for the 2018 Memorial Challenge. The 2017 Ace Race disc has also been given a name as the Sting. These will be released to retailers sometime in the near future.
- Vulture – The Vulture is described as less overstable Predator with more glide. This new disc should be available soon.
- Sting – Discraft gives the Sting a Stability rating of 0. At our Ace Race, most players found it to be quite understable with a significant high speed turn.
DGA recently had an overstable fairway driver, the Banzai PDGA approved.
- Banzai – The DGA Banzai is a very overstable control driver. It’s described as a more OS Pipeline. 8/4/0/3
Dynamic Discs has at least four discs in the works. The Maverick, Getaway, and Captain will all be available in early Spring. The Patrol will initially be released as part of the Trilogy Challenge. The Dynamic Discs Maverik and Captain have a scheduled release date of March 30th.
To be released:
- Patrol – The Patrol is a beginner friendly ultra understable midrange. 5/5/-3/1
- Maverick – The DD Maverick is a controllable speed fairway driver designed for woods and low ceiling shots. 7/4/-1.5-2
- Getaway – The Getaway is another fairway driver that is said to be the big brother of the popular Escape. 9/5/-0.5/3
- Captain – The Captain is an all purpose Distance Driver that can provide massive distance for experienced players, but isn’t so overstable as to be unusable by the average Joe. 13/5/-2/2
Full turn has two new drivers the Cruise and the Voyage.
- Cruise – The Cruise is a high speed driver with a 2.3cm rim width. 13/5/-2/3
- Voyage – The Voyage is another high speed direr with a feel similar to the Cruise. In terms of flight, the Voyage has a little more high speed stability than the cruise. 13/5/0/3
Gateway has already released a new midrange, the Prophecy. As always, they continue to release the popular Wizard putter in new exciting plastic blends.
- Prophecy – Slightly overstable Midrange. 5/5/0/2
Well the big news for Infinite Discs in 2018 is that we’ve partnered with Innova to introduce our own disc line. This line consists of modified existing Innova molds, expired molds, and new plastic blends. We’ve wasted no time getting our brand of discs out there and currently have eight discs released or in production. All eight of our new molds should be available by the beginning of summer.
- Exodus – The Exodus is a stable flying fairway driver with the flight of a beat in TeeBird. 7/5/-0.5/2
- Chariot – The Chariot is a stable midrange. It is very similar to the Mako3, but has a small microbead that makes it substantially more stable. 5/5/0/1
- Pharaoh – The Pharaoh is a distance bomber. This disc has the height of the Destroyer but a slightly thicker rim and a flight path more similar to the Discmania DDx. Stock run Pharaoh’s will be available by the end of March. 13/6/-1/2
Soon to Come:
- Myth – The Myth combines the elements of our top selling putters. It’s top is similar to the Discmania P2 but it has a bead on the edge of the rim which makes it more similar to the Gateway Wizard or Dynamic Discs Judge. The Myth will be available in April.
- Sphinx – The Sphinx is an understable fairway driver that glides for days. We had this driver manufactured specifically for beginners. This is the first disc that will be featured in our new “Infinite” I-Blend plastic. This is an affordable blend that maintains the great feel of soft star plastic but at a more affordable price. The stock run of the Sphinx will be available in April.
- Tomb – The Tomb is a flat top, low profile putt and approach disc. The bottom mold is very similar to the Innova Colt while the top is completely flat. This disc is surprising straight flying, but is stable enough that it is still great for forehand approach shots. The Tomb should be available in May.
- Slab – The Slab brings home the beef. This thing is ridiculously overstable. It is similar to Innova’s Max mold, but has an almost completely flat top. The Slab should be available in June.
- Anubis – This is a straight flying slightly understable midrange that is very similar to the Innova Coyote. This last disc in our new line should be available by early summer.
Innova has been pretty quiet about the new releases thus far this year. At the Las Vegas Challenge they released the Rat and from their product catalog we know a disc called the Caiman is in the works.
- Rat – The Rat is a stable flat top approach disc that is supposed to be similar to the Westside Harp or Discraft Zone. The Rat will be available for retail sales on March 14th. 4/2/0/3
To be released:
- Caiman – A new very overstable midrange. 5.5/2/0/4
Latitude 64 has already released a driver, midrange, and putter this year. They continue to pump out lots of new molds in Sweden and there will surely be many more to come in 2017.
- Ballista Pro – The Ballista Pro is said to have a great combination of speed, stability and glide; perfect for all kinds of distance shots. 14/4/0/3
- Explorer – The Explorer fairway driver is Ricky Wysocki’s new signature disc. This is the classic stable control driver that with TeeBird flight ratings that Trilogy fans have been asking for for years. 7/5/0/2
Soon to Come:
- Fuji – The Latitude 64 Fuji is the fourth double mold disc in Latitude’s line. It was PDGA appproved on January 29th and will be available in early spring.
- Saxon – The Saxon is a fairway driver, and according to the Dynamic Discs product catalog, will be Latitude 64’s contribution to the Trilogy Challenge. This might not be accurate as the Trilogy Challenge info says that the Musket will be this years driver.
- Musket – This is a fairway driver that will supposedly be part of this years Trilogy Challenge. We don’t know anything else about it, but it will likely be released in Lucid plastic and will be a pretty neutral driver.
As always, MVP is sure to have a large assortment of new plastic types and limited edition stamps to feed the collector frenzy. For actual new disc molds, the Deflector is currently the only disc we know of that is currently in the works.
- Deflector – The MVP Deflector is a thin rimmed fairway driver. Some have speculated that will be a utility disc more overstable than the Matrix, but we really don’t have any official word on this disc yet. We know that the max PDGA weight is 179g, so it could be more like a thick rimmed midrange.
- Entropy – The MVP entropy is a disc rumored to be a very overstable putter.
Ozone discs has a new distance driver, the Hyperion.
- Hyperion – This is a very overstable utility driver. 11/3/0/4
Prodigy is releasing new versions of their “H” series discs. They have already released their H3 V2 which has been very popular. Unlike the last H series, this version is supposed to be more traditional discs molds with rim widths between the F series and the X series. We expect to receive the new H5, an understable hybrid driver with a moderate rim. Look for special Utah Open additions of these new Prodigy molds coming soon.
- H1 V2 – This retooled version of the super overstable H1 has a sharper rim which provides more speed, glide, and distance. The Prodigy H1 V2 will be available March 29th.
- H3 V2 – The second version of the H3 is a straight flying moderate rimmed distance driver. 11/5/-1/2
- H5 – The new Prodigy H5 is supposed to be an understable easy to fly driver.
To be released:
- The H1 V2 – The second version of the H1 has also been PDGA approved and will likely release sometime this year.
While Vibram won’t be making any new discs, they have made the disc golf news by declaring that they will cease disc golf operations in 2018. If you’re a Vibram fan, let not your heart be troubled as we still have a healthy stock of all the most popular Vibram molds and will be getting a large shipment from their last run.
Viking Discs has three new discs that will be in stock at Infinite by the end of March. They include:
- Valhalla – The Valhalla is a stable distance driver that supposedly provides more distance with less effort. 12/5/0/2
- Barbarian – The Barbarian is looks to be the standard workhorse fairway driver. 7/5/0/2
- Loki – The Loki is a VERY overstable midrange that is pretty similar to the Dynamic Discs Justice. 4/2/0/4
Westside will soon release three new discs:
- Anvil– The Anvil is a super overstable utility midrange that should be similar to the DD Justice. This Westside Anvil will be available on May 25th. 4/4/0/4
- Maiden – The Westside maiden is a low profile putt and approach disc that will be released during the Trilogy Challenge. 3/4/0/1
- Warhorse – The Warhorse was designed as a high speed driver to handle strong winds. The Westside Warhourse will be available for retail sale on May 25th. 13/4/0/4
Yikun has a new midrange the Kui, a Distance Driver the Lu, and a new triple mold disc the “Twin Swords”. It looks like Yikun is taking a new approach to try and actually do something new.
Soon to come:
- Twin Swords – This unique “triple mold” disc is a stable flying distance driver with a unique rim. 12/5/-1/2.5
Do you know of other new discs that aren’t yet included in this post? Please let us know about them in the comment section below and we will add them to our list.