Summer is here and disc golf courses are becoming overcrowded throughout the country. During this annual flock to the courses the great sport we call disc golf is being discovered by thousands of new rookies. As beginning disc golfers learn about the complexities of the game, the first thing they typically want to know is, “what are the best disc golf drivers?”
To a new disc golfer, the ‘best’ driver typically means the one that will fly farthest — It’s all about getting distance. Beginners rarely want to start out with a “slow” midrange or putter.
When a new disc golfer first glances the many varieties of available drivers, they often assume that high speed discs will go farther. Experienced disc golfers know this is rarely the case. Until a player develops sufficient technique, other discs are best.
True, not all new players to the sport will start be at the same skill level. Define beginner as you would like. What we want to know is which disc is the best for your typical beginner.
Best Discs for New Players
We’ve asked the following questions to our site visitors:
- What prior disc-throwing experiences did you have before you played disc golf?
- What drivers do you recommend for new disc golfers?
- What discs worked well for you when you were new to the game? Why?
- What new discs have you seen work well for beginners that you wish you would have had?
- What disc advice would you give to a beginner?
Hopefully, advice from experienced disc golfers will help you select discs that will decrease the learning curve, and help you to get better more quickly.
Summary of Your Responses
After carefully reading all of your posts these are the main tips you’ve shared:
1. Disc golfers come from many different backgrounds including, but not limited to: Ultimate, Catch-and-throw Frisbee, baseball, discus, catch with the dog, and badminton. Ok, that last one might not be true..
2. Here is a list of the most recommended drivers for beginners according to this post:
- Innova, Leopard: (16 votes)
- Innova, Valkyrie: (10 votes)
- Latitude 64, River: (8 votes)
- Innova, TeeBird: (6 votes)
- Innova, Beast: (6 votes)
- Innova, Wraith: (4 votes)
- Latitude 64, Diamond: (4 votes)
- Avenger SS: (3 votes)
- Innova, Cheetah: (3 votes)
- MVP, AMP: (3 votes)
**22 other discs were mentioned one or two times.
3. Here are some discs that worked well for the experienced players when they were starting:
- Innova, Valkyrie: (5 votes)
- Innova, TeeBird: (4 votes)
- Innova, Shark: (4 votes)
- Innova, Roc: (3 votes)
**20 other discs were mentioned one or two times.
4. Here are some discs that the experienced players wish they had when they started:
Others also mentioned:
- Prodigy, M4
- Latitude 64, River
- Millennium, JLS
- Innova, Katana
- Innova, Roc
- Innova, TeeBird
- Innova, Monarch
- Westside, Underworld
- Innova, Vulcan
- Innova, Leopard
- Discraft, Comet
- Discraft, Stratus
- Discraft, Zombee
5. Here are some common tips from the experienced players for those new to the sport:
- Try driving with a putter, then moving to a mid-range, then finally a driver.
- Play disc with others who are experienced and ask for tips.
- Watch YouTube videos to learn proper throwing form.
- Focus on your form first, not your distance.
- Play often, and practice your throws in an open area.
- Don’t get discouraged, and HAVE FUN!
This summary is a great overview of many posts. Feel free to read more below and find some real gems of advice!